Saturday, April 11, 2009

Pump It Up

When I start getting too grateful for things, bad things usually happen so I won't say how happy I am that Brooks got his insulin pump yesterday. I'll neglect to mention how cool it is that he's been going about his climbing, jumping, wrestling, pretzeling, and etcetera as usual. He doesn't know it's there most of the time but found a dollar bill at the theater last night and figured a way to stick it in the pump holster - he's been selling it as a money holder and insulin device ever since. I'm slightly afraid of other creative ideas he may come up with but at least he's excited about it.

Brooks is still on the saline trial of the pump and we'll start sending insulin through on Monday. High five to whoever came up with the saline idea, it gives us a chance to practice and get to know the pump before he gets the real deal. If all goes as planned, he will only have 5 more shots, hoorah & hooray! We will have to move the pump site around every 3 days but he didn't even feel his first one yesterday. I didn't think Brooksie would appreciate me putting a pic of his tush on the blog so in case you can't picture it, this is what it looks like.
We can detach the tubing for sports and bathing at the little plastic circle area. This way when we're ready to reattach, he doesn't have to get a new site. It's pretty near the damn coolest thing I've seen in a long time, but you didn't hear that from me. Brooks picked a Utah Jazz skin so the pump looks something like a pager or cell phone. I think it makes him feel trendy or important, as it should. I'll regret to add that I'm anticipating great things from this pump. I'll be able to oblige to his snack requests at the touch of a button instead of pinches and pricks - it's ok if you are totally picturing Steve and I singing hallelujah at the moment.
I'll update on the progress once the insulin starts flowing. Until then, peace out y'all.

9 comments:

Carrie said...

Well, I'm singing praises right along with ya! If it means no more shots, then yippee. Brooksie does look studly with the device on. It does look like a pager or a cell phone, which makes him look super important!
Oh- and I'm glad for the new post...I was starting to get depressed seeing you clutching the Jay poster. So thanks, amiga. Hope you're hanging in there.

Karianne said...

Yay for technology! I'm super excited to see his new device tomorrow.

Lyndee said...

Yay! After seeing the new pump yesterday it is very cool. I am glad that he doesn't mind it. I am also glad for no more shots. Yahoo!

Becky A said...

Love the Jazz pump! and the fact that it doubles as a money holder, wow, so awesome! Keep up the good work, mom!

Jeni said...

That is the coolest thing I have ever seen! I can't wait to hear how it all works out!

Ellie McFreaken said...

I think Brooks is going to start a new fad with his money/pump holder! He is lookin' sharp!
What a cutie!!!!!!!
I am glad to hear it's going good for you too Ang!
Hope you had a great day yesterday!

Ellie McFreaken said...

P.S. noticed your new lil' dothingy instead of *(*^)^&%!

I likey!

Ashley said...

That is sweet! I love how he could personalize it with a skin.

Angie said...

That is so amazing. I am so happy for you guys, I hope the pump makes life easier for you guys.