Friday, October 1, 2010

New Sheriff in Town

It's been said that when you have a pet pass onto the other side, there's a possibility they can communicate to you through another animal. At this point in my life, I don't care if you call me crazy, insane, deluded, whatever, but I believe the theory. I'm not saying that Tug is trying to speak prophetics or guide me in any direction, but sometimes Coot looks at me in the just the right way and I know Tug is with me.

Cootman came to us while his family went on vacation in May. Coot was 9 months old and was on his second family, but they were also considering giving him away. He was urinating in their house, so they frequently kept him in the garage or tied him to a leash in the house. I don't fault my friend because Coot was the first dog her and her husband ever had. If you have a smaller dog, you are familiar with occasional accidents and clean-up. If you are Steven, you're not as patient about this either, but luckily you have a wife and kids that are.

Anyways, Coot being their first dog wasn't working out like they thought so we happily agreed to keep him. I swore I'd never get another pet after losing Tug. I didn't want to experience that heartache and emptiness ever again in my life, but then Tug sent us a little band-aid. Our new heart patch had the same name as our nephew Cooper, so we tweeked his name a bit (he never knew the difference) and here we have the Cootster.

He doesn't have many potty mishaps anymore and he is awesome with Emma and Brooks. He sits by Brooks every morning and gets read to, or talked to, or anything that provides attention.

He "helps" with dishes...He leaps super high for everything...

He "helps" me find stuff...

And mostly, Coot just follows me around and makes sure I'm never alone. I am someone's world again. I still kiss Tug's collar on my bedpost every night because I miss him earnestly, but when I kiss Coot on his temples, I am literally kissing Tug too. Those are the glimpses of heaven that I'm allowed several times a day and the saints know I need 'em.

7 comments:

Carrie said...

Oh, Coots-Cahoots! I'm glad you have him to keep you company. Love the pic of him doing dishes....and the one of him looking for a snack in the pantry. Doesn't he know that if he wants excessive doggie treats thrown at him, he's gotta come see aunt Carrie??! Obviously Tuddy-Buds hasn't passed that one on from beyond!

Angie said...

Tug's keeping some selfish secrets up there Care. Although I don't believe he ever ate one of those treats again, after your day together. It's kinda like stuffing your face with so many mentos that they eventually make you sick and you never want to see another one in your life.

Diana said...

Yummm...can I come have after school snack at your house? Always good to know who has a well stocked pantry - just in case:) Did you get someone for Mrs. Q class?

Lyndee said...

Awww, CootManDoo! I love that little guy. I love how he leaps to great you then piddles when you do. haha I swore I'd never get a dog again too. It's just to hard not to they are so dang cute. I love him looking in the pantry.

Sweet Rolls said...

I love how he runs towards cars on the street.

Karianne said...

Steven, you big meanie!!

Stephanie said...

I love Coot!