Saturday, April 19, 2008

O' These Magical Days

One week ago today we were getting ready to watch one of Emma's dreams come true. There couldn't have been a more fitting spot than Disneyland. She practiced this dance so much that I thought I'd never want to hear Kenny Loggins voice again in my lifetime, but as soon as the tunes of "Footloose" started playing on Main Street, I began to cry. I couldn't even see her yet and the tears were welling. Luckily, she had a few groups ahead of her so by the time she passed us, I had gained full composure.


In case you don't reconigosize her, as Tigger would say, she's the second one from the back in red and she is gettin' her groove on. That's my girl. Not that I was ever into performance dancing much, but doing the boogie around the house is something I'm quite fond of. I have a feeling she's gonna be able to "shake it." Poor Steven. I mean that in more than one way. He's not going to like Emma shakin' it around the boys AT ALL (when she's older of course) and now he'll be subjected to two of us jigging as we bake cookies and make the beds.

The only thing I felt bad about this whole trip was the fright we made Brooks endure. He's not one to live on the edge or do anything that would land him in the emergency room. It was no surprise that Disneyland wasn't any different. If you're sensitive to terrified toddlers, the next picture will tug at your heart strings.
It might help to know that this was his first time on Big Thunder and we were about to descend a hill at an abnormally high speed. Child abuse I know, but he just has to overcome his fears somehow. I hope Child & Family services doesn't check my blog. Good heck, if he weren't a mirror image of his father, you'd think I'd had an affair with Evil Knievel.

Grandpa Reed said that two things made this trip all worth it. One: as the Matterhorn began ripping them around, he thought Brooks would be deathly afraid, but instead he heard him laughing and giggling the whole time. And two: seeing Emma's grin from ear to ear and her face completely lit up when we picked her up backstage after the parade. Although the picture above is deceiving, I testify that E.J. did not release any bodily matter on Splash Mtn. Everybody followed my instruction except myself. I told everybody to keep their eyes open as we dropped and asked Reed to hold onto Brooks. It appears I'm the only one who's not afraid of me. You can tell that E.J. would've much rather been closing her peepers but doing so would've brought the wrath of the irrational disney mom, so she held up.



And will somebody please remind me why I ask Steve to be in pictures?



















The night before dancing in the parade, Emma went to a special dance class with three Disney choreographers. One was from High School Musical, another from Kim Possible, and the other was not popular enough for Emma to remember, but she had a great time. She absolutely loved the fact that she learned moves from real HSM choreographers. I'm glad she thoroughly enjoyed this since I could've bought a year's worth of clothes with the price we paid for her ticket. No just kidding, it was a tad pricey, but more than worth it.
A picture of E.J. with Michele, her dance teacher for 5 years now. We had alot of people from our little town there and they all kept saying how they kept seeing Michele's family around D-land without her. It's because she spent the whole time coordinating, practicing, and helping the girls make this a fun experience. I would like to thank Michele for the time she put into this for our girls, and also for inviting us. We don't have time for Emma to be on her competition team, but she is always kind enough to ask us to competition things. She is a great confidence builder for Emma and praises her constantly. I don't know of alot of dance instructors that are consistent self-esteem raisers, but Michele is fabulous at it and E.J adores her. When Emma was 3 years old, a different dance teacher told me that E.J. was a follower not a leader. K first of all, let me repeat that she was 3, and second of all, ain't nobody gonna tell me that my daughter is less than anyone else, EVER!! It appears that the only one Emma's following now is Mickey Mouse down the parade on Main Street. I'm grateful we found Michele :)





I guess it's not enough that Nik and I share the same birthday, we have the same great taste as well. We will obviously have to start discussing wardrobe plans before we go anywhere again. Would anyone care for some Doublemint gum?









Some pictures are worth a thousand words-


At least Emma and Grandpa were able to conquer their fears on their own kind of "Tower of Terror". E.J. can say she's ridden Disney's version and Legoland's version and the vote goes to.......LEGOLAND. I don't think hate is a strong enough word for her feelings about Disney's.

Next day was Dodger Stadium. Steve & Jim were discussing not going to church on Sunday to which Reed replied, "Some people are going to church tomorrow, but we're going to heaven."
It wasn't our favorite stadium to say the least. Not only because it took us 10 hours to get in and out of the parking lot, but because we are not members of the Crips and therefore wondered if we'd live to see another sunset. I particularly don't carry a concealed weapon but am not against the idea if anyone coerces me to go there again.

However, I did like this on their mountain:

But this would've been BETTER:

I have alot of people ask me how I can stand to go to Disneyland every year. I really don't know how I can't. It's the only time I don't get ornery with the kids. I get to see their excitement over and over and over again. Brooks kept saying, "wake up Pooh" from the Winnie ride and skipped to and fro Star Tours and anything space/star wars related. He whooped Grandpa in points on the Buzz ride by the way. Emma inherited the appreciation of every big and little thing Disney.
I also was fortunate enough to go to Disneyland with my own Grandpa many times, many years ago. I choked up waiting for the submarine ride because thoughts of my Gramps and Gram all came back. I remembered being on the sub with them and my 5 cousins like it was yesterday, seeing the tattered mermaid below while sitting next to my chubby Grandpa who barely fit in the minimal space given. It wasn't much of a ride for our grandparents, but all that mattered was that we liked it. And we did Gramps & Gram, thank you for the many trips to this magical place. It's those memories that keep me going back time and time again. I missed you more than ever while we were there Gramps. I told Steven that I thought I heard your voice when we were passing Pirates and you were even talking in spanish. Thanks for throwing me some pixie dust from heaven and being there with me for just a moment. I'm carrying on what you left.












7 comments:

Lyndee said...

Boy you sure packed a lot in there for one little weekend. I am so glad Emma had a good time dancing. Love that picture of Brooksie on big thunder. Also, I looove the think blue and orange picture that is classic. As usual your blog teared me up talking about Gramps. It looks like you guys had a great trip. That's good.

Carrie said...

Um, can someone get me on the next flight to Anaheim? That blog was quite enticing, I think I need a date with Mickey ASAP. I'm glad Emma had fun dancing, and it looks like Brooks was in heaven the whole time. Oh- and Steven, did you need to go get a chiropractic adjustment after sqeezing your tall frame under that "A"?? It looks like you really kinked your neck there.
All in all it sounds like the Poll's will definitely be back next year... surprise, surprise!!

Karianne said...

What an awesome time you guys had at Disneyland! The picture of Emma and Reed is priceless. It's good to know that you are carrying on the tradition - family vacations are the best!

Angie said...

I guess I better say that the paragraph about Brooks being scared is complete sarchasm. Steven said he was confused and if he was confused, others must be also. Brooks has zero fear whatsoever.

Becky A said...

this has nothing to do with your post, which I did find very entertaining, as usual, but I need to fix something we've been having a blog-conversation about. I guess Phoebe isn't playing softball after all. there was originally 18 girls in their age group signed up, so in order to make 2 teams one of the coaches happened to know us and called to see if Phoebe would want to play, but turns out they are just going to combine and have one big team, NOT coached by the original friend of ours. soooo...we backed out. bummer! this is the longest comment I have ever written, and I'm sure there are all kinds of strangers that are so interested to hear such a lovely tale of softball for 3rd/4th grade girls in south weber...but you know I'm not going to call and tell you this. :)

Matchbox Mom said...

WOW! That is sooo fun! your daughter is very ADOREABLE. Your thoughts about your Gramps made me tear up...i just found out mine is in the hospital...sniff
I'm sorry about your concert being cancelled...oh man...bummer!
LONG LIVE MATCHBOX!

HUGS

Amy Spalding said...

Okay, so we are planning a trip to D-Land and Dodger Stadium for next Summer, and I will be packin' heat. I went to a Dodger game when I was about 10, and I guess things have changed since the good 'ole days...Guess I'll dress the boys in earth tones and we'll says our prayers.