
Dictionary definition of a groupie: an enthusiastic young fan, especially a young woman, who follows rock groups around
So am I enthusiastic? yep
Am I young? it's relative, but I say you betcha
Am I a woman? hear me roar
Am I a fan? I think it's fair to say undoubtedly YES!!!!!
Do I follow rock groups around? No, just one group. And does driving to L.A., Boise, and Reno really count?
Ok, Ok, so I'm coming to terms with admitting I might be a groupie, but I prefer "Roadie". That's what D.J. said me & Karianne are. Steve said groupies are girls who stalk band members from city to city and then try everything they can to meet the rockers. We'll use the word "meet" lightly - I don't think I need to explain that. Anyway, I've never tried to meet Robbie or any rockstar. I've heard of girls waiting by their buses after shows and I've even seen their buses, but I don't attempt to greet them. For the love of Pete, I'm married! That's why "Roadie" is a better term for me & my RB. Steven started calling Kari my RB for Roadie Buddy when were planning Reno.
RB taking her turn at the wheel (that background is the dreadful scenery we saw the entire 14 hour roundtrip)
How does one become a groupie? It's a slow process that you don't even realize is happening until you've heard Rob sing in person. And then he does the cutest little tush shake across the stage. Oh, and I can't forget the heart pat with his palm while he sings right into your eyes. No literally, if you're close enough, you see him looking into your soul. Believe me, you'd be addicted too. Kari's not my only RB, Lyndee's on board too. She would've came to Reno with us but Jeff threatened divorce. Luckily, Steve has a mancrush on Rob too, so he completely understands. He was my traveling buddy to Boise and Lyn was my partner to the City of Angels.
So this is the thing...when I returned home from Reno, I had a slew of emails that detailed the intervention my Book Club is planning for me. They believe I've taken the Groupie bit too far and feel it's time to take action before I permanently pack my bags and decide to chase Rob & crew around the globe. They say I'm acting like a 16 year old and that I'm going to bring sisters, cousins, and whoever else I can brainwash down with me. My aunt Kari and my sister Lyn have tried to tell them that it's not me, it's the BAND, but to no avail. They think a little crushed ice (you know like those dreamy soft ones you get @ Bajio's & the hospital) and a diet pepsi is going to soften the blow once they rid me of Rob. I will never relinquish my Matchbox! Besides, the concerts are great exercise. We dance and jump around so much that we walk outta there sweatin' like tramps in church.
The whole thing of it is that it's only been one week since I've seen them and I miss them already. I saw them in Salt Lake the week before that but it just wasn't enough so me and the RB decided we needed to go to Reno. One never knows when the group will call it quits for good so we have to get our fill before the tank is completely empty. What if we've seen Matchbox Twenty for the last time? Robbie will certainly tour alone but it's just not the same without the band, especially for Kari since she thinks she was married to the lead guitarist, Kyle Cook, in her previous life. You should see her when Kyle sings, and Trav doesn't care because he's still in the closet about loving them too. He'll come out soon, don't worry. We all show our colors eventually.
Robbie in SLC:
We were 6 ft away from Rob on this corner in SLC, the spot where he pointed, heart patted, and sang to me & Kari (we were the only ones standing for the song.) Thanks Lyn for the pic, she was a few rows above us :-(
The song playing is dedicated to Kari!!! It's her favorite 'cuz Kyle sings the chorus. They both sound like heaven to me.

11 comments:
I don't know Ang?! After reading your blog I'm kind of leaning towards the groupie side. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, I'm just saying there's no need to be in denial about it. If Elvis were still alive today I would definitely be a groupie.
I've been waiting for this post, knowing it was coming. Checking and re-checking the blog...
The thing is, is that I enjoyed the Matchbox back in '98,'99 ish, heck- I still like them. I guess it was just so hard to believe that it took you so long to discover them. And, I will say that I've never been to one of their concerts, so I haven't experienced them in all their glory. Who knows, I might be one of those hussies waiting outside the tour bus. Who knows. While I'm sure you would TOTALLY be a groupie if there were no Stever and no Emma Jade and no Brooksie, I guess I'll let you believe you're a roadie. Though at heart, you're a groupie all the way. Now, I'm not saying you should go off Rob cold turkey, I'm just saying let's wean you off just a tad. Maybe I'll sneak some CD's into your car. Maybe just to broaden your horizon just a tid bit. I only want the best for you, friend. And if Rob is what's best, then so be it.
Oh- And I love the pictures. And you're a LOT cuter than Wendy Peffercorn.
*sigh* How I wish I would have been able to go to Reno. It is a good show. I guess roadie does sound better. Your still following him around. That is sad if they don't tour again.
So, like, you need to make it so "Hang" plays over and over . . . and so that it doesn't stop to read or post a comment. Reno was good time! Thanks for not posting that picture where I was too close to the camera and I looked heavier than I really am! (That's my excuse anyway!) I think when you are a roadie you throw clothing items at the band or something. Dang it - we should have done that!!
angie. your pictures just aren't going to cut it. i'll have to look at some google images to catch the full spirit and enthusiasm of this posting. i was a late bloomer with rob too. my sister & i became intrigued by him when we saw/enjoyed his 'lonely no more' video. before that...matchbox 20/twenty was just another band that i had enjoyed. but i have you to thank for enhancing my appreciation of all things rob. i love to hear about your concerts...because i believe every word you say. i'd call you a 'groupie'. wear the title proudly, girlfriend.
Yea, Carrie's right, I didn't happen upon them til they were broke up. Probably a blessing for Steve from up above. We might not have kids or a savings account if I had found them before I gave birth. Really, I started to love them when I discovered how involved Rob was in the Pets Alive Animal Sanctuary. Then I looked into his songs and that's all she wrote friends. "Hi my name's Angie and I'm a groupie."
Kari: agreed on the song while posting and moving around the blog. In fact, I wish I could install an ipod in my temple. Then I could hear Rob all the live long day. Wonder if I'd get sick of him...not likely. Why didn't we think of throwing our shirts up? Cuz our brains get all fuzzy when Rob & Kyle are around, that's why.
oh, and Carrie: Thanks for thinking I'm prettier than Wendy Peffercorn. Though, I've NEVER had that kind of body in a swimsuit.
1)I feel like I am back in the seventh grade.
2)I am not sure that I would call Matchbox 20 a rock band that should have "groupies"?
3)I think we all know the true definition of "groupies" and following the band around is only a minor part of that definition.
Although, Yourself or someone like you is still one of my favorite albums.
That is cute, I think you could be a borderline groupie considering your behavior at my wedding....Hehe just kidding!!! No roadie sounds good! I like your family pictures! Happy Easter!
Ang, you reminded me of my past married life. I remember being talked into driving to Vegas to see the Monkey's and remember standing in line and making friends with a bunch of people with pins all over their clothing that they had collected from all the Monkey's concerts they had been to. After the concert we then drove all the way home because it was Jenny's birthday the next day. Welcome to the groupie life. "Rock on" Rob Thomas!!!
Post a Comment