Saturday, January 17, 2009

Brooks and Brooks

Two years ago this month we had a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. Brooks Robinson was speaking for a UofU baseball fundraiser, so we took our Brooks to meet the inspiration behind his name. Brooks will only remember this from pictures but we hope he will grow to appreciate this night as much as we did.

When I was still in Hygiene school, Steve and I used to talk about possible boy names even though I was not pregnant or thinking of becoming pregnant. We already knew that our first daughter would be named after my Grandma Emma, but nothing struck us profoundly in the male category. Then one day while watching a baseball documentary, Brooks Robinson was mentioned as one of, if not, the greatest third basemen to ever play the game. Steve and I immediately looked at each other and said, "That's it!" I asked Steve if he knew what type of guy B.R. was off the field, I didn't want my son having the same name as some arrogant, celf-centered baseball player just because he could play a mean game of hardball. Steve said he thought B.R. was a nice guy but didn't have details.

I started doing some research and kept finding quote after quote, story after story about what a great man Brooks Robinson was and still is. There were numerous stories of him signing hours of autographs for kids and fans, and several accounts where B.R. would pull a child from the stands before a game and ask him to play catch or pepper with him. He was always overly nice to the media and to people in general. I couldn't find one tale of him believing he was better than anyone. He's been quoted as saying that he's just an average ball player who was lucky enough to play games for a living. Basically, he had it in perspective. He knew that being a great player didn't mean beans if he wasn't an even better person outside the game. These are my two favorite quotes written about Brooks Robinson-

"There's not a man who knows him who wouldn't swear for his integrity and honesty and give testimony to his consideration of others. He's an extraordinary human being, which is important, and the world's greatest third baseman of all time, which is incidental." - John Steadman of The News American

"How many interviews, how many questions - how many times you approached him and got only courtesy and decency in return. A true gentleman who never took himself seriously. I always had the idea he didn't know he was Brooks Robinson." - Joe Falls of the Detroit News


After I read that B.R. was held in the highest respect by everyone, the deal was done. When I was pregnant with Brooksie, I went through a phase of wondering if people would think it was a girl name and started tossing around other names, but Brooks always came back to me. I think it's because Brooks is the perfect name for our sweet boy.

The above picture is Brooks Robinson signing Brooksie's baseball. He asked our Sweet Boy what his name was and Brooks just looked at him silently, so I smiled and nodded to B.R. as I said, "His name is Brooks." Mr. Robinson's reply almost brought me to tears. He grinned at Brooks as he sounded out what he was writing on the ball, "Brooks, I'm honored." There was something indefineable about that moment. B.R. went on to talk a little to Emma and signed a book for her and then we were about to leave when I said to big Brooks, "Thank you so much, you are everything they say you are." And then he hugged me.

Steven still says to this day that I hugged him, but B.R. was sitting down so I think he stood up to hug me! We will contest each other forever about this one but I thought it was funny when we got to the car and Steve said it would've been nice if he'd been able to talk to him as well. He said I was hawging all of B.R.'s attention! I told Steve that if he wouldn't have been there staring in awe, like he'd seen the light of heaven, he could've said whatever he wanted. I wasn't standing guard over the 16-time gold glover for bleeps sake.













I'm a quote lover so here are 3 of my favorites from Brooks Robinson -

"Whether you want it or not, you do serve as a role model."

"It's a pretty sure thing that the player's bat is what speaks loudest when it's contract time, but there are moments when the glove has the last word.”

"Fifty years from now I'll be just three inches of type in a record book."
Norman Rockwell was picky about who he drew, but held such high regard for Brooks Robinson that he made him the subject of this painting titled, "Gee thanks Brooks." I don't think even a handful of players can say they have their own Rockwell. Here are 3 quotes that explain what type of defensive player B.R. was -

"He's not at his locker yet, but four guys are over there interviewing his glove." - Rex Barney to reporters looking to interview Brooks Robinson after the 1970 World Series

"I'm beginning to see Brooks Robinson in my sleep. If I dropped a paper plate, he'd pick it up on one hop and throw me out at first." - Sparky Anderson

"I will become a left-handed hitter to keep the ball away from that guy." - Johnny Bench

A link to one of my favorite B.R. kid stories -
http://www.royfirestone.com/img/v1/The_Kid_Who_Never_Forgot.pdf

Next stop...Jay Cutler, baby. Count on it!

6 comments:

Lyndee said...

I have heard this story a few times now and I still love it. I didn't knwo about the Norman Rockwell painting. That is very cool. It's to bad Brooksie was so young that he won't remember it.

Carrie said...

Aw, Brooksie. I can't imagine his name being anything else. I'm sad to say I never even really knew about Brooks Robinson before you guys...you've educated me on so many things, Ang.
Let me know when you get hold of Cutler-- I want to be there for that one! I guarantee YOU'LL be the one hugging him!!

Ashley said...

Aww, I didn't know this story, I was glad to hear it!

pcb said...

Oh Angie that was the best post! I knew who he was named after but I didn't know you got to meet him in person. I bawled at the part where he asked Brooks' name. Why can't our current athletes (Cutler excluded) be more like Brooks? Poor Sweet Rolls, were you tongue tied????

Sweet Rolls said...

As an eye witness to the mentioned Brooks Robinson event, I feel it necessary to enlighten the general public as to the actual happenings of the said encounter. The documented testimony of Brooksie and Mr. Robinsons interaction appear to be right on. However, it appears the emotion of the evening has clouded my spouses reflection just a tad. The rest of the story goes as follows:
As I was standing in line watching my son meet Mr. Robinson I stood back letting them have their moment. When I could tell the conversation and ball signing was coming to a conclusion I began to approach the one person I had wanted to meet my entire life. As I took the first step I suddenly noticed a sudden fear enter Mr. Robinson's face and watched as his security leaped into action. I also felt the need to to whatever was necessary to protect the living legend from any danger, when suddenly I was pushed out of the way by a women with five cameras and a diaper bag. As I was knocked off balance I saw Brooks stand to try and defend himself from what looked like a middle linebacker. Suddenly, I realized the attacker was my wife whom I have been sealed to for time and all eternity. Realizing this commitment I had made I stepped back and watched the forced embrace with the greatest third baseman of all time. Due to the blow I had received I was now located off to the side where I could see Mr. Robinsons face cry to me for help, the hug was lasting for an uncomfortable amount of time. As the head of the household I took the necessary steps to remove my wife's death grasp of the fragile former athlete and left as a family, vowing to never speak of the humiliation again. What happened to our promise Ang? Why do you insist on bringing up wounds that have not fully healed? Where do we go from here?

Becky A said...

Wow. I loved the post about how Brooksie got his name, and the autographed ball is awesome. I had no idea who Brooks Robinson was, either, but I did know little Brooksie was named after a baseball great...
and just as I was preparing my comment in my mind, I read Steven's comment and lost my train of thought. Good grief, you guys are so FUNNY.