Thursday, January 29, 2009

"Hide not your talents. They for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?" ~ Ben Franklin

I always hate the part on a questionaire where it asks what special talents I have. I can see that it's an applicable question most of the time, but I never have a good answer. I don't play an instrument, I can't sing, and I'm not good at any sport. Instead of writing "none" like I want to, I end up making up some crap about talking easily with others.

I received an email today that has me thinking I may need to change my response. I'm still undecided whether I should put "Excellent missionary skills" or "Recruiting expertise", but for now I'm just content that I finally found something.

This hidden talent didn't surface until just over a year ago when I found out Matchbox Twenty was doing a benefit concert in LA. Steve had already taken off work to go see Rob Thomas with me that year so I called my sister to see what I could talk her into. With a little coercion and the gift of pirated CD's, Lyndee came aboard the groupie express.

I had to post a video because this night provided the first time I'd ever thought about how I'd like to die. The video doesn't show it, but Lyn and I were a few rows in front of this camera. We were in the loge which I guess is like a balcony except its lower and closer to the stage. The building was a hundred year old theatre that had closed for a decade but then recently revamped and reopened. As soon as the music began, the whole crowd (including us) started jumping and dancing. I am not exaggerating when I say that the entire balcony was quaking and I felt like we were headed for a crash at any given time. I looked at Lyn and told her that I couldn't think of a better way to croak, so we kept our groove on, unstable as it were.




Matchbox came to Utah a few months later and I handily talked Kari and Trav into going. Lyndee went also, of course. I will post video of this fabulous evening on its one year anniversary, but I also prepped Karianne with Cd's and such before the concert. To say that night at the E Center was one of the best nights of my life would be putting it lightly. I couldn't stand the thought of not seeing them for several more years so I smoothly proposed going to Reno the next week. Kari bit and we were off like the bra of a new bride. Lyn knew Jeff would not hear of it so she stayed behind to sulk. For the record, we also had tickets to see Matchbox in Cheyenne last July but the show cancelled due to Rob's stance against animal cruelty (did I mention that I love this man?)

A few months pass and I find my cousin, born fifth in line among us, persisting I make her a CD of Rob and Matchbox compilations. This would be the same cousin that suggested a possible intervention to control my following of the said band. I sent her an email today requesting her brother's email status. She forwarded the necessary information and added a sentence telling me she was listening to Robbie as she wrote, but the best part is that she concluded with a "ooh baby!" I then asked her if this meant she would be joining me and my roadies once Rob announces another solo tour. Her reply was that she'd love to and that she has really missed out.

So that's it! My unexposed talent has shown face after all these years in the shade. I cannot take full responsibility since Rob is the actual ear-melting songwriter and performer, but I will accept credit where due. And thanks to my devoted converts. I love you girls!





13 comments:

Lyndee said...

That night at the Wiltern (sp?) was so fun! That was the best for a concert since it was a smaller venue. I too remember the balcony feeling like it was coming out from under my feet. We were jumping around like crazy. Also, the concert at the e center was fun too. I am so glad I was introduced to Robbie.

I for one think you have many talents! Your chocolate cookies are to die for. LOL I do think you missed you calling as a writer though.

Anonymous said...

I agree with the writing. You're awesome! And... add me to the list of converts. I know it's been a couple of years since you made me the Matchbox 20 CD and I loved it then, but I've really been in to it lately, even running to it! It's just...different than anything else and I'll be looking for more. :)

Carrie said...

Well...seeing as how I liked Matchbox in high school when they were insanely popular (circa 1998/1999) I kind of missed the boat with the whole obsession thang. I do however still like them. And 5th cuz...I'm sure you're kicking yourself for wanting the intervention in the first place...now you're one of THEM! Irony's a B**CH, ain't it??

Becky A said...

You are funny. and writing is definitely one of your amazing talents.

Ellie McFreaken said...

I don't know how you do it but you can write about anything and enthrall us all. (whoa that was a big word for my usual vocab)
ALthough I am not too familiar with Matchbox you've made it sound so appealing.

You my friend have many talents...being able to always have a good time is at the top of my list!

Lyndee said...

I had to come back! I can't tell me how many times I have watched that video on youtube. That was the best weekend! Robbie and Wicked! I don't think it gets any better.

Ellie McFreaken said...

Ang do you remember who had "loaded question"....I wanted to use it for ELlie tonight. Was that you or Aleesha?

Angie said...

Must've been Leesh, Ang. Is that the actual game or was it just one question?

Karianne said...

Yes, I must say you are very persuasive(sp?) when it comes to the Robbie department. I was never the same after I heard "Hang" live.

Jeni said...

I'm laughing some more....another one of your talents...making people laugh.
Funny, I feel the same way about "Talent" talks...I get all jittery and nervous inside and hope we don't have to say our talents out loud.

You should start up a church of Rob.

Ashley said...

haha good talent! I love it!

Aleesha said...

I don't know Ang, yes you are very talented, but I haven't been converted yet, so.....

Anonymous said...

oh this is so funny!! Yes, it is true, Rob is HOT! And is voice goes right into my soul....hopefully someday I can see this wonderful man live in concert. I am so ashamed of myself for starting an intervention, my apologies 2nd Sis...