Steve took the kids to Grouse Creek this past weekend and I decided to go shopping for some book club items which I did find. Just so happens that I also found a nice 3 piece set of furniture I wanted for book club as well. I only had two problems. 1. My muscle man was out of town. 2. If I called somebody this close to midnight, they'd probably deliver the furniture directly through my window howbeit shattering as much glass as force would allow. This was a definite predicament since my personality is such that I wouldn't be able to sleep unless I knew I could get that furniture the next morning.
Then lightening struck the synapses and I knew I could not only text my nephew at this hour, but I could also count on his help - "him" the Zakariah, the Zak-a-sack, the Z-tack!
Here's Zak relaxing on the newbie. It was nice to spend the day with him too. He has quite a sound system in his lifted truck so we thumped to and fro the furniture and donation stores. I felt like I was in high school again and I'm almost sure I saw a passerby mouth to me, "Hey old lady, isn't that going to shard your hearing aid?" Zak also tried to make me feel better by pretending to try and find a Matchbox song on his iPod. It was a nice gesture anyhow.
This was an outfit that all the boys in our large and extended family wore when they were 3 years old. They stopped the tradition after Zak. I think it's probably because they could see the white boy path progressing to something ridiculous. He still looks devishly handsome in it.
Zak's always had a big heart. I remember one time when he was five, and I must've been feeling overly brave, I took him, Ash, and Krystle to McDonald's (mind you, I was in college and had no idea what it was like to tow 3 kids around.) Anyway, I ordered and paid for all the food but as I was passing out everybody's meals, I realized they had shorted me my own box of McNuggets. I went to the counter to tell the worker and when I came back, there was a full box of McNuggets sitting on my plate. I was confused for a minute until I saw Zak's plate only had fries. He felt so bad they had forgotten to give me nuggets that he secretly gave his to me. I tried to give them back and convince him that mine were on the way but he wouldn't take them. I still get teary to think of it. 
Zak provided many years of fun football for us. He is #40 in these pics and below is him running for a touchdown in the '03 mini-bowl. I will never forget this game and specifically this play because he plowed out of 6 defenders to run 30 yards and score. We could hardly believe when he came out of that tackle and began his run. It was our superbowl and our all-star at the helm! I am not exaggerating, only bragging, when I say that he made almost every completed play in the game (props to his blockers.) They beat a 4 time undefeated team for the championship. 

And now he's almost 18 years old. Zak was the first child to officially make me an aunt and I love him as much as I did the day he was born. He is a good kid with big dreams that I know he will acheive. He told me Saturday that he's going to get a bullet bike and my stomach's been turning ever since. I did well at hiding my true feelings but I am having a hard time staying calm about his future purchase. If you ever read this Zak, please don't go so fast that you will acquire all the injuries we spoke of, and especially don't do anything stupid because I will forever need you as my co-conspirator. I watched you newly into this world and I do not anticipate watching you leave it, ever. BE SAFE for me, for my sister, for your Grandma and Papa, for your brother ok. Don't make me post pics of you in the tub or doing the super-d-duper twirl with Barney! And thank you for being there whenever I need you.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I thought it fitting to post a picture of, most likely, the last child to make me an aunt. This is Rocky, born to Aleesha and Matt a few days ago. Given the name, I forsee great furniture-moving potential.
3 comments:
You just had to go and make me all sniffly and cryung again didn't you. What a great post for Zakariah. He is a great nephew and is willing to help whenever we ask. Love the music by the way. Oh, the mini-bowl. That was the best game ever!! I have been thinking about the bullet bike too. Ugh! I get quesy just thinking about it. I cant believe it 18?! Where has the time gone!!! We are truly blessed to have such a great nephew!!
What?! A bullet bike?! Has he forgot what happened on his dirt bike? Oh dear, better go out and buy him another St. Christopher medal.
UGHHHH i hate bullet bikes!! Also, I will never let Zak live down the day he walked out to Grandma's car in only underware because his alarm didn't go off!!! hahahahaha
Post a Comment