
Today like many other special days, we miss her the most. She would've loved me posting to her on her birthday, and all of Aleesha's posts about her too. She would've asked several times how she could start a blog and it probably would've been about Grouse Creek. All the shoulda, woulda, couldas, and it STILL doesn't seem right. But if you're reading this from heaven Lana, Happy Birthday! I hope your enjoying time with Grandma and Grandpa Kimber and your Dad.


I'm sure everyone will be out today to be with "The Dad" (Reed), and the cousins will be running around as usual, sneaking drinks from the fridge and snacks from the pantry. We will still reminisce about old times but it won't be the same without her. Lana loved get togethers, especially with her mom, sisters, and brothers. And she loved being with her best friend Diane, whom I'm sure will not stop thinking about her today. Diane and I can't talk about Lana very much because we always start to cry, but I'm going to try and not make this sad because Lana was such a fun person and she would've wanted us to remember the happy things about her.

She would've been happy to see Steven and Travis get their Masters degrees last year. She would've been anxiously waiting for Leesh's new baby and planning what she was going to do with Maya and the boys when Leesh needed her help. When I had Brooks they wouldn't let even the sibling children visit us, but Lana found a way. It's been said that there was the law and then there was Lana's law. If she wanted something, she generally found a way to get it. She loved a good deal too. Finding a treasure at the vintage stores or garage sales was her "happy place." People still covet the heavy pots and pans she found me when Steve and I got engaged.

Here's a pic of Lana and Reed holding Brooks and Skyla on their blessing day. She loved to watch Brooks run and to have tea parties with Matilda (Lana's nickname for Emma.) I can only pray that Emma will remember their little shopping trips together and the days when Lana would teach her to sew. Every once in awhile Emma will bring up a story about her Grandma Lana and I tell her to remember all that she can and write it down. I don't want Emma to forget how much Lana loved her. Everyone always told me how Lana would brag about Emma, constantly saying what a good, sweet girl she is. I really can't bear to think about all the things Emma will miss out on now that she's gone. She had the most creative, yet crazy, mind of anyone I know. Lana loved to do things that had never been done before. She loved thinking of new games for the grandkids and she is the reason our city days are as big as they are. She started the parade and much of the activities that go on. She was a true go-getter.

Her last years were not the easiest for her. She had two brain surgeries that left alot of her days spinning with dizziness and hurting with headaches, but she pressed on as much as she could. Doing things simple just wasn't her way, so when a holiday would arrive, it was do all you can while you can stand and pay for it later in bed. She wasn't about the let somebody else be the Mom or Grandma for her, and I love her for that. I love her because she always used to tell me how skinny I was, and we all know I've never been skinny. I love her because she raised the most loving, funny, and giving son...my husband Steven, whom I know misses her more than anything and my heart aches when I see him thinking about her. I love her because she always helped me take compassinate service meals to people. She loved to help others and her love was contagious. I could probably fill up pages and pages of everything Lana accomplished in her life, but I need to stop crying now, so I will save my thoughts for another post. I think of her every time I hear this song, so go rest high up on that mountain Lana, we'll be thinking of you down here.
7 comments:
Thanks for the thoughts Angie. I miss her more than you can imagine. She was an amazing person.
Thanks Angie, I don't think there is a day that goes by that I don't think about her and miss her. She had a special way of treating all of her kids and grandkids.
I feel kinda of silly adding my comments with her boys, but Lana is truly missed by all - Kent still refers to her as his 2nd mom. Thanks for the tender moment of sweet reflection. I love that about your blog - it was fun reading about your grandpa as well. Do you save or print out your post?
I miss Lana, too! thanks, Angie, that was good to read. She was always such a positive person!
Thanks Angie! Diana I don't know how Lana could have been Kent's second mom when she was mine. Well I guess I do know how, it's Lana. She was the kindest person ever, & I too miss her soooo much.
Angie, thank you for sharing those beautiful thoughts about Lana. I too especially miss her on special days. Nolan & I went to her grave early in the morning on her birthday. There are not many things I do that don't remind me of her. She is in my thoughts constantly. My heart hurts every day with missing her. She loved our summer trips so much. I just took my granddaughters on the quilt trip that Lana & I went on every summer. I told them it took all three of them to take her place. I'm trying to live better because of her...she was so much more than a friend to me...sooooooo many memories!
What a wonderful post, Ang! You did a great job of putting your memories to words.
Post a Comment