Monday, September 8, 2008

Because I Am Thankful

I sit here on the laptop watching the Broncos complete pass after pass and it makes me happy. Unfortunately, it's not enough to take my mind off the many things my heart is wrapped around. My children are asleep on the floor in front of me. They have been running a fever and dealing with the big "D" (and don't mean Dallas or divorce) on and off all day. They are not 100% at this time.

My sweet husband remains in our bedroom with a pounding headache that feels like it will last forever. We spent hours in the E.R. yesterday only to find that Steve has viral meningitis. Since it is viral, it cannot be treated with antibiotics and will simply have to run its course. The doctor said meds won't take away the pain, they will only make it manageable. I should've had the doc clarify his definition of manageable. Steven is also not well. As if that weren't enough, they saw a small spot on the CT scan and scheduled an MRI for him tomorrow. They told us not to worry too much about the spot because it is probably just scar tissue and that many people have "spots" on the brain that are insignificant. I'm a Carpio and they tell me not to worry. That's pretty much like telling Michael Phelps to stay away from water. I'll keep you updated.

For various reasons, I'm able to look at it this way- I can be fairly sure my husband will live through the end of this week. I can picture a future with the love of my life. My children will be able to kiss their dad goodnight and wake up to him making them chocolate chip pancakes for countless more mornings. My heart pains for my aunt and their children, to the point where I feel as though it will burn right out of my chest. I am wrought with sadness for their situation but I am grateful that I have so many good people to hold me up as I try to make sense of it all so I can be strong for Kari. For that reason I write another list, this time it's for my reasons of gratitude.

I'm thankful...

1- For neighbors like the Brown's who brought us dinner tonight. It was yummy, yummy, yummmy! Shae even made fresh blackberry jam because she knows it Brooksie's favorite.


2- For a caring friend like Carrie who checks on me frequently and makes me PB bars when I'm down. I told her that they are my medicine and she's my pharmacist. I wasn't kidding. They really do make me feel better. I am totally addicted to these dreamboats. 3- For a best friend like my Old Same, Andrea, who calls me almost daily to make sure I'm okay and to see if there's anything she can do for Karianne. She's a social worker and she tried relentlessly to bring Trav home by calling every homecare and respiratory connection she had in the state of Utah. Andy spent oodles of time making phone calls because she knows how much Kari & Trav mean to my family. We have been friends for 30 years. I am so lucky to have a friend that is there in a moment's notice, whenever, wherever. (a pic of Andrea, Carrie, and myself in NY 6 yrs ago. Ol' Orange is for you Care) 4-For a husband who gets excited about finding coveralls at a local garage sale. He thought he hit the lottery when he found these. As you can see, he also likes to "play" mechanic. I say play because I was the last one to check and place antifreeze in the bone-dry overflow compartments of both vehicles. I did not wear coveralls.
5- For a bro-in-law who calls several times a day to check on his brother and has traded places in the worrying dept. He also offers to take the kids 50 times a day as well as picked a perfect outfit from our closet for Brooks on Sunday. I was impressed. T even called to see if he could bring me a shake tonight (Steven too of course) Picture portrays the one day they dreamed of joining Hell's Angels. 6- For my loyal sister who cries with me and understands that I try my best to be a good person. She is the best person in the whole world.

6-For these two because they make the rain not seem so bad7- For a reliable father-in-law who doesn't ask for much but is always willing to help 8- For Trav because he taught us to appreciate every minute life gives and for leaving us a great example of a really nice guy who showed us the true meaning of being an extraordinary Dad and an exceptional husband. I will remind Brooks how much he liked Trav when he can't remember him anymore. 9- For all your calls and notes of concern, for remembering to place names in the temple, and for your prayers, REALLY!



10- For HIS promise that we should fear not, because I'm extremely afraid of what's to come.Thank you to all my wonderful friends for your constant kindness. I honestly feel blessed to have such a great support system!

10 comments:

Becky A said...

Angie, you are so great. I hope Steve gets feeling better, and the kids, too. What next, huh?

Lyndee said...

Ang, I hope everyone recovers sooner rather than later. I am thankful for you as well. I don't know what we would do with out you. I want to get on Carrie's good side. Man, I want some of those peanut butter bar. As usual a great post.

Lisa said...

wow angie. we come to play games and the next thing we know steve's in the hospital. what on earth. john said he got an e-mail explaining it all, but i didn't get it! to steve: you will be in our prayers. i have experienced a spinal headache. yuck. i'll call you, angie. love to you all.

Jeni said...

I've been wondering how you've been, & I am shocked to realize I've missed so much...I had no idea about Steve! Life is too crazy. Please keep us posted & know that you're in my prayers...love you girl.

Carrie said...

I'm glad you are able to keep a perspective through all of this. I've been concerned, friend.
And Lyndee Lou...I'll make you some PB's in the near future. That's a promise.

Diane B said...

Didn't know about Steven until today...his name will be in the temple tomorrow along with Karianne & Travis as always. Take care of him, as only you can. Of course this causes me to think of Lana & her headaches. Isn't life unpredictable! All we ever wanted from life is a comfortable, little cottage, but as the walls crumble around us, we realize the Lord is building us mansions. Hang in there as your walls crumble...all will be well in the end in your mansion.
We pray for all of you.

Ellie McFreaken said...

Angie...I'm so glad to know you and be able to call you my friend. You have a way of writing and I have been thinking about you so much lately. I too will Pray for Steve and continue our prayers for Travis and Karianne.
You know you can call if you need anything right?
Thanks for the reminders to count our blessings. You are a blessing to so many people Ang....hang in there!

Carrie said...

I forgot to say that I am still laughing about Stever in the coveralls. He is seriously one of the funniest people around. KC got a good hearty chuckle out of it as well. I know he's probably not in a funny mood right now...but hopefully soon :)

Angie said...

Thanks you all. Ang B, I am so happy to call you my friend as well. I tell people that they can find the best friends through blogs because of you. I do know that I can call if I need ya and thanks for offering.

Diane, the walls came tumbling, no more like crashing down today. There better be a mansion and a whole lot of answers up there because this one's gonna require a damn good explanation if I get there.

Rachel said...

I hope everything is ok. I'm a worry wart so I am going to worry about you and pray for your little family until your blog says your ok. Keep trooping!