Wednesday, December 10, 2008

How to NOT harm a child

1. Breathe
2. Close your eyes
3. Say one Hail Mary in your head or if you didn't grow up Catholic, sing I am a child of God
4. Ask his reasoning for twining the gum about his hair and neck
5. Listen without judgement
6. Remind yourself that it was you who gave him the pack of gum
7. Ask him whose side he's on today. Smile when, as usual, he'll say Mommy's and not Daddy's
8. Remember the day he was born
9. DON'T remember waking up at 3am this morning with his feet in your forehead and wondering when he managed to sneak in
10. Tell yourself that it will be easy to snipp off the gum-entangled hair behind the ear
11. Think of the time when you cut off one of your neighbor's long braids while playing salon
12. Ask him who your sweet boy is
13. Don't think about how difficult it is to remove the gum as he whips his neck from side to side while simultaneously kicking the hell out of your legs
14. Reflect back a few weeks when you asked him if Daddy had already helped him brush his teeth and he said, "Yes, but don't ask him ok?"
15. Convince yourself that he wouldn't do these sort of things if his bloodsugar weren't fluctuant
16. Don't think about preschool starting in 3 minutes
17. Think about how he calls his blood "sugarblood", can he really know how sweet that is?
18. Hug him and tell him how much you love him because you know life would be boring without him
19. Praise yourself for subtlety answering any questions others may have about last year's Christmas card (refer to former post)
20. Blog











10 comments:

Jeni said...

I can't stop laughing...you are not going to believe this...but sunday after church I had to cut a whole big chunk of Ari's hair out because she put her gum behind her ear- like on charlie and the chocolate factory-so she could save it for later! It was a mess! I feel your pain.

Carrie said...

Is that gum? Or a battle wound? I don't know weather to laugh or cry! That really looks like blood, not gum. I have a feeling I know what you were busy trying to situate while he got into this little predicament :)

Diana said...

Girl, it's a good thing you posted your thoughts 1st before the pics or I'd of been freaking out thinking he had a major cut behind his ear. Way to stay in control:)

Stacie said...

You are so funny! I too cut off my friend's long pig tail while playing salon.

Lyndee said...

LOL! Brooksie, Brooksie, Brooksie. What are we gonna do with you? I'll have to remember the Hail Mary I have never thought of that. I have needed it many a day.

Anonymous said...

oh man, this is WAY too funny! The picture totally scared me at first, like the others I thought that was a stab wound. Nice tips I will try a few on your list...

Ashley said...

wow! that looks difficult! Good suggestions if I ever have kids! haha.

Becky A said...

that's funny, I commented yesterday, but it's gone! Angie, you are soooo funny! And Brooks cracks me up, too!

Ellie McFreaken said...

Angie....LOVE these posts. Your Christmas card was a hoot..so funny!

I think I will copy and paste your list to remind myself as well when I am having onne of those days with Zac.

I love going to yourfacebook page and reading your comments they always make me laugh!

Aleesha said...

That's so funny! I totally forgot I never told you this, but I once had to give Brooksie a haircut at my house because of an incident very similar to this one. But it was all up in his bangs. The whole time I was cutting I was having flashbacks of my mom cutting Emma's bangs. It made me a little nervous. Apparently I did a better job than her because you never mentioned anything to me about it.