My Sweet Boy, our Brooksie, was diagnosed with Type I diabetes last week. Brooks was urinating every 10-15 minutes so I called the doctor for an appointment. The nurse asked if he had the 3 other symptoms associated with diabetes and I told her that he really didn't. She reassured me that it probably wasn't diabetes then and asked if I still wanted to make an appt. I told her that I did, if not only for peace of mind. I never received that peace.
Instead, we were told to drive directly to Primary Children's to visit with the pediatric endocriniologist. I had no idea Brooks would be admitted for 2 days and that we would go through intense training on insulin injections and carbohydrate counting. I will not go into detail because it still hurts to recall those awful moments when you realize your child's life is forever changed.
So here we are, day 7 of giving our son 4-5 shots and finger pricks every day. Watching his every move and pleading for this to be nothing but a bad dream. Pleading to trade Brooks places even though we know the bargaining is pointless. We're no strangers to this useless bartering, but yet we continue the process. I know there are many parents who would trade us diagnosises and I know that this will not slow Brooks down, but I am his mom, and this isn't what I saw in his future.
These are my fears: I am afraid that people will not ask him to play at their house because they are nervous about him going to high or low. I am afraid that Brooks will feel unnecessarily different from other children. My heart breaks to think or write about it. I feel a little better every day but I still get down occasionally and its those times when I am afraid that I will never stop crying. I am afraid that last month's ride to hell is not roundtrip. Perhaps I am not the strong woman I thought I was.
But there is a bright side, Brooks is tougher than I ever imagined. He takes the needles and pokes like an ironman. He seriously hasn't skipped a beat. Also, I know that Brooks is being looked after by a new spirit in the heavens. People will believe what they may, but when the main nurse walked in and introduced himself as Travis, I knew it was nothing short of a blessing telling us that Brooks would be okay with his new protector. And by the way, thanks Trav. We will count it as an exchange for that Spidey yahtzee game you two never got to play.
Here's the spideyboy himself, getting blood drawn like a real man-
Brooks liked all the visitors and especially his black spiderman poster from Uncle Jeff which he made sure every hospital employee knew about. Unfortunately the camera ran out of batteries so I only got a pic of Andy & Kim. Before they came, we were right in the middle of a very important lesson from the pharmacist and Brooks was running from the foot of the bed and then bodyslamming himself into the head of the bed. Loud and frightening lightly describes the sound of the amusement Brooks was providing himself. Andrea and Kim liberated us once again.
Here's Brooks hiding in the cabinet. When his doctor told him goodbye at discharge, he told Brooks thanks for keeping the hospital in one piece. The doctor jokingly said he questioned otherwise after the many visits to our room.
Primary's is an amazing hospital. Their motto is "The child first and always" and they do live by it. Brooks saw this lifesize statue first thing and was immediately excited to stay.
He wanted Spidey to have a green bandage too
I'll picture him doing the same thing to my heart-
I wasn't kidding when I said Brooks had everyone wrapped around his pinky. He was so thankful to everybody. The patient's mom in the next room came and brought Brooks some toys because she said in the two days she had been there, she never heard a boy so appreciative and happy. She said she had fun listening to him talk to everybody. When we were leaving Brooks said, "Mom, thanks for bringing me," and then he turned and told the nurse, "Thanks for poking me." (Here I go, crying again)
It's no secret that we are huge Denver fans. Another tiny blessing is that Jay Cutler, Broncos quarterback, also has type I diabetes. The cameras frequently show him checking his blood on the sidelines. Brooks thinks its cool that he has something in common with Cutler. Brooksie wore his #6 jersey two days in a row this week and only took it off because some food spilled on it. I was born with orange blood so Steve was a fan by association, but now his allegiance to Jay and crew is rock solid. Brooks has the heart and ability to be anything he wants and he will, no doubt, make his dreams a reality as well. In the meantime, if you're looking for a noticeable change in Brooks, good luck because you're not going to find it. If there are any odds against type I diabetics, Brooks will defy every single one of them. This disease will not define him. Brooks will be successful in so many other areas that people will forget he has it.
And as for your question Brooksie if "I'm just keeping you alive," the answer is yes, yes, and yes. I will do whatever it takes to always keep you here with us my Sweet Boy.
14 comments:
Angie, you ARE strong! and a wonderful mom. Cute little Brooks. Hang in there, girl!
Just read about Brooks, so sorry, but I know all will be well with him with wonderful parents to care for him & special angels looking down on him. Take care, good thing you're a "tough cookie"...love ya.
Are you kidding me? Girl, I think you are being tested. Is that bad for me to say?
You ARE a tough cookie.
Just know that so many people love you and will be praying for your cute family.
Wow Ang!
That's just crazy! What a cute boy! I I know he's in good hands! You are a great mother! I'll keep you in our prayers!
Love Ya!
I can't stop laughing about Brooksie saying, "Thanks for poking me" to the nurse. You already looked like a pro at the soccer game. Doin' the finger prick, checking the number...then giving him a snack. Looks like you got this thing covered! I can't imagine how overwhelmed you and Steven must feel, but if anyone can do this it's you two. That diabetes is gonna be sorry it ever messed with you. I have no doubt that Brooksie is in good hands!
Sweet, Brooksie. I love how Carrie put it best. Diabetes is going to be sorry it messed with you!! As you have heard many times this week. As much as it sucks you are the best mom for this to happen too since you are so dedicated to researching what you need in making sure he is getting all he needs. Stay strong, hermana! We are here if you need us.
Ang,
I will keep Brooks in my prayers and will hope for a cure someday. He has two of the best parents in the world. We love you all so much.
I was gonig to write "are you kidding me" too?...so there you have it. I am so sorry Ang, as if you haven't had enough going on lately.
Brooks sure does sound like quite the little guy and we will keep him in our thoughts. My Mom and Dad both have diabetes and so I know how difficult it is. BUT like you said Brooks is a tough cookie and his Mom is the best :)
Don't worry Ang, Brooks will always be invited over to play here.
After Brooks went to the hospital, Luke came down with a "Mysterious" stomach ache that he insisted needed medical attention. So I took him to his doctor and as they were asking questions about his stomach one of the questions is "do you have a history of diabetes in the family?" Luke immediately said yes, Brooksy has diabetes. And then with a big old grin on his face he said, "do I have diabetes now too?"
Love ya girl! Hang in there.
Not want Brooks to play at thier house......What???? I am just waiting for the day I finally get invited to play at Brooks house. I could wear my Elway jersey and he his Cutler jersey. But yet still...I am not cool enough:( If that happens, those kids don't know what they are missin!
So when can Mags schedule a playdate with her "boyfriend" Brooks??? You're in our prayers!
Hey Angie!! How are you and Brooks doing? I've thought about you and him probably every day since I talked to you on the phone!! I hope you are both doing good! Hang in there!! It will all get so routine, you'll forget your even doing anything different from the norm!! He is so lucky to have you as a mother!!! (:
Angie, you are amazing! We will be to every walk, run, skip and event to help this cause. Jed has been praying for his friend Brooks and hopes he can come over and play soon.... We love you guys.
Tara
i was so shocked when john told me. i'm sorry for the ordeal that you have just been through and the worries that might be there in the future. but brooks will be fine with a mother like you and a heavenly father who loves him. i'll call again soon, when we get back from hong kong. love to you and yours.
Post a Comment