Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Reasons for Hope

When you say a situation or even a person is hopeless, you are slamming the door in the face of God ~ Charles Allen

So I guess it's time to tell you all what's been consuming my heart lately. As most of you know, my uncle Trav (who's my age & married to my maternal aunt ) has been fighting an uphill battle against esoph cancer for 10 months. He had immediate success with chemo and radiation but the surgery after has left complications of an anastomotic leak and blood clots in each lung.
As if that weren't enough, they received news that the cancer has returned. Trav is currently in the hospital trying to control the clots, repair the leak, and strengthen his lungs. He is physically weak but mentally determined to wage on. He is a true blue family man with a big heart.
Though their trials are more than rattling, they are not ready to give up. They believe that traditional medicine will provide the most help but are trying some alternative things as well. Trav & Karianne have met and been inspired by others who have proven that it is possible to live with recurring cancer, and most importantly, they have walked by faith throughout this ordeal. They have placed everything they love and hope for in the hands of God. If I could ask one thing of you all right now it would be to please remember them in your prayers.
I know alot of people would've lost hope by now, but gratefully, they know better. Mother Teresa once said, "To keep a lamp burning, we have to keep putting oil in it." Trav & Kari realize there's a stronger power and are willing to accept his will whatever it may be, but they also believe they must exhaust all oil, every mean before they throw in the towel. Thank you for your constant concerns and for all the praying you have done for their family. Your prayers for Steven's brother do not go unappreciated either.
The quote above the picture says all that I feel. Once again, thank you for being such faithful friends. I BELIEVE with you Kari & Trav.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

We think about Trav & Karianne all of the time, and they are always included in our family's prayers. I hope they feel it.

Ellie McFreaken said...

What a wonderful quote, I have been thinking about our conversation and I just wanted to tell you that their family is in our prayers. It is hard to see someone you love so much go through so much pain. Prayers are the most powerful thing in the world so we will continue to pray for your uncle.

Mamma K. said...

We continue to pray for Travis and Karianne and their family. Some day in eternity all of this will make perfect sense, although it certainly escapes us now!

Ellie McFreaken said...

Angie!!! You SHOULD copy my header.....I wouldn't care one single bit! Besides I copied someone elses idea....:)
Have fun in Park City with Emma!

Carrie said...

Travis and Karianne continue to be in our prayers. They are such great examples of faith and perserverance. They will be blessed for all they are going through. I think about them a lot and we'll keep the prayers coming.

Jeni said...

What a beautiful post ang. We will be praying. Thanks for keeping us updated on your uncle.

Becky A said...

I've been wondering how they are doing. Thanks for the update, Angie. Our thoughts and prayers are with them.

Brooke Kap said...

That made me cry. I can't stop thinking about Travis. Thank you so much for writing about him. I have been getting updates from my dad but if you hear of any changes let me know. I also want to thank everyone that is praying for him.

Lyndee said...

Amen, Ang! I love that quote. All we can do is hope and pray with you.

Angie said...

Just a little FYI for y'all. Brooke K. is Trav B.'s cousin. Such a small world we live in.

Thank you guys for all your sweet comments and prayers. They mean more than you know right now.

Diana said...

Trav and Karianne continues to be in our prayers. However T is now a sensitive subject...after he trashed Kent in a round of golf the continued prayers are under debate:) J/K Kent loved hanging out with the boys.

Anonymous said...

Angie...I'd like to talk to you about what we can do to for Karianne - meals, yardwork, whatever.  Everyone at work is asking "what can we do?" I'm sure your family has meals covered but we all feel so helpless and of course Karianne refuses any help! Please get in touch with me. I tried you at work, but the office is closed until Monday....

Angie said...

Lisa, I sent an email at your work address but you're probably off today. Email me at onemadhygienist@hotmail.com