Wednesday, November 5, 2008

My dream is of a place and a time where America will once again be seen as the last best hope of earth ~ Abraham Lincoln

I went to Gettysburg when I was 17. A significant time in my life because it is also when I gained a real appreciation for being American. I had heard all my life about a great leader who entered a war to keep his country together, but then had the heart to see that there was more to it, and the courage to actually do something about it.

I also gained patriotism at 17. I saw a Wall that stretched on forever with names of Americans, many who had been very near my age when they gave their lives in hopes of providing others the same privileges I have today. It was also the place where I realized that freedom is certainly not free.
Next to that blessed wall, I stood on the steps where another brave American had once stood and given a speech about hope. Hope that his children would be judged not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character. I was so moved by these places that I had to return years later with someone whom I knew would treasure it as much as me.
Above are Steve and I at another monument in Gettysburg. If you've never been, I recommend trying your hardest to get there in your lifetime. It is truly hallowed ground. I am grateful I was able to visit history and then watch its impact right before my eyes last night. I was the minim of the veriest minimums in this part of history, but I was a part of it!!! It doesn't take much to get me teary, but I have never cried about election results before last night. Today I am an especially proud American. Proud to be amongst fellow country men and women who voted for an awesome candidate, hopefully not just because he was black, but because he's a worthy leader who happens to be black.

I think it's fair to say that this was my sister and myself's dream ticket. We actually went into the primary's wanting Biden, but when he didn't have a snowball's chance in the devil's hand, we converted to Obama. Now it's true that Lyndee introduced me to Joe and his policies. I did follow, but I do my own research and thinking. She would probably agree that it was I who then suggested she give Obama a chance. She liked him, but didn't think the rest of our country would vote in a black president just yet. I told her that I believed we would and she did her own investigating from there. The day they announced Biden as the vice-presidential running mate, I called her up screeching. She hadn't heard yet so we cheered together.

Above is a funny picture only because Lyn has two very big screen tv's in her home, and this is what we were watching. As you can see, it's the tv closest to the food, so one can conclude where our loyalties lay. I didn't realize how idiotic we were until Kari said, "I can't make out the electoral votes, can you see what they are?"
I thought the pic above to be a good representation of American voters. How great that we are a majority when it comes to voting. Emma also voted at her school where McCain won but she went with Obama. If you know her, you already know that I didn't brainwash or push, she has a sensitive spot for the civil rights movement sans help from me. She's her own girl.

I also wanted to mention that I did not appreciate Third Sister liking my hair to that of Sarah Palin. I told her that she could call me a b!#*h, fat, stupid, or whatever else but if she ever assimilated me with that animal butcher again, I would have to kill her.

For the record, I do not hate Republicans. I'm a registered independent- I vote by policies and personal issues. I actually would've went for the straight Dem ticket yesterday but I love what Huntsman has done for education, so one elephant got my vote. That being said, I get more and more Dem with every election so I don't know who I'm trying to kid.
I just added this pic because I love that Steven almost measures up to Abe, height wise anyway :) He is one of Lincoln's #1 fans. We went on this trip a few months after Steve did his baccalaureate project on Lincoln's assasination so it had many extra perks and feelings for us.
Lyndee and I made a pact last night. We vowed to see the real painting of our first African-American president hanging in the White House. She asked if I minded giving another "national treasure" tour. I don't think I'd call it that, but in any case, looks like we're headed to D.C. within 4 years. Two women, born U.S. citizens, great-grandaughters of Mexican immigrants, grandaughters and daughters of WWII and Vietnam veterans, respectors of the females before us who fought for our rights, sisters of same yet different faiths, will head off to revere where and why it all happened. I love this country!

8 comments:

Carrie said...

That is awesome. I, too (yes, me with the heart of stone) got a little teary watching as they announced that Obama had won. I couldn't tear myself away from the TV for a second. I'm just so thankful to be born in a country where we have a say in who is our president. All I gotsta say is, "Yes we can!!!"

Anonymous said...

Well said babes. Not only are you freakin HOT!! But, you know I love a girl that is not afraid to be different, well informed, and speak their mind even if it goes against what the majority of their neighbors and friends believe. Love ya.

Steven Marlow Poll

Lyndee said...

Well said, hermana! I have been soaking it all in since Tuesday night. I can not wait to take our trip to D.C. (I won't call it the NT tour anymore). I am glad to have turned you on to Joe Biden. Yes, I did take a little convincing on Obama, at first. So why didn't you post your McCain/Palin picture? lmao

Angie said...

To what do I owe the occasion of a serious comment from my husband? Thanks Babe I love you too. Is there anything I can do to keep you from continually signing your full given birth name though?

Sister, very funny! The photo stays between me and you. I was only joking about the NT tour, I don't care what you call it, I just don't want your expectations to be that of Nicholas "crappy actor who talks through nose" Cage. We will however do the Philly, DC, Gettysburg thing. And I want to go to Williamsburg this time since I've never been.

Jeni said...

I loved this post ang..so beautiful. It's moving to think that we truly were a part of significant history in the US of A.
I agree with Steve...you are amazing for speaking your mind, and I think it's so neat that you get so involved. You are a true American.

Carrie said...

I have also stayed up many a night wondering why your dear husband, one of the funniest people alive, chooses to go by his full name. I mean, I can see putting "Steven M. Poll" "Steven Poll" or "Your loving husband Steven", but this is getting crazy. Maybe he does it so that if something he says ends up being a famous quote, there will be no question as to where it came from. That must be it.

Anonymous said...

Ang,
Don't forget to invite your 5th Cuz on the Washington trip....and I love the picture of you and the wall. Great Post! I cried when Obama won, I never thought I would see the day.

Ellie McFreaken said...

Ang I just posted about the election too! I love that you and Lyndee decided to do that.

History my friend, was made......;)