Monday, November 17, 2008

Tribute from a Friend

Before I even met Lana, I knew she had a dear friend named Diane. Steven talked about their friendship often and I later saw for myself just how special it was. To this day, I know I could call Diane for anything and she would help me simply because I am married to Lana's son. I am honored to post Diane's own reflections and song in remembrance of this day that changed all our lives.
Angie
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------



Lana (right) and Diane (left)



The best of friends then & now









Tribute To My Bestest Friend
She left us two years ago today
November 17, 2006
I will always wonder why my best friend, Lana, left us all so soon. I have missed her every day for the last two years. I have shed many tears, but have also found much joy in the memories I have of her. I have only dreamed about Lana a couple of times and they were hazy & confusing dreams. I'd like to share a dream I had very recently. I saw her very clearly. I was so happy to see her, we ran to each other through a crowd and hugged a big, long, happy hug! She was vibrant and healthy, and smiling her happy Lana smile. I excitedly introduced her to some people she hadn't met in this life. After more hugs & happy greetings, she gave me a gift, a very large picture of her with the Savior. I thanked her, we hugged good-bye & she left. There was no sadness, only joy, & that's how I felt when I woke up. I have that picture in my mind of her with the Savior. There are no words to express how badly I miss her, but I know, especially after this dream, that she is very happy where she is, even though I'm sure she misses all of us.

Some things I miss about my friend:

Not having my special friend to go with me on errands anytime I call.
Not being able to call and share with her my happy or sad news.
Not having her call me to share her happy or sad news.
Not having her to talk to about ANYTHING and EVERYTHING!
The countless fun times the "four of us" had together over the years.
Our annual summer trips.
Our Utah Noodle dinners for over 40 years.
Sewing together.
Walmart adventures. I don't like Walmart, but I would go there with her.
Missing the "brave" one in our friendship. She'd always do the things I didn't dare do.
Her phone calls.
Always having to look for a restroom for one of us.
Taking her to the Dr. (never thought I would miss that).
Hearing about her family...I'm out of the loop on what everyone is doing now.
Hearing her tell me how wonderful Aleesha is.
AND hearing her tell me how wonderful her boys are.
Her wanting to do everything the way I did. That used to bug me, but I sure miss it now!
Taking her with me to visit my parents. She & my mother shared a special bond.
Bragging about our grandkids.
Someone to laugh with.
Someone to cry with.
Trips to the D.I.
Shopping at Big Lots & the Dollar Store.
I miss being able to go to the temple with her, but I feel her near me when I'm there.
Planning what to get all our grandkids for Christmas.
The way she always wanted to help somone in need.
Enjoying spending more time together since I retired. We were both looking forward to that.
Her positive attitude no matter how she felt. She told herself she felt good even when she didn't.
Below is my friend on her front porch: Waiting for me to pick her up for quilt trip. I always told if I saw her sitting on her front porch I would pick her up & we would go have fun.
Our friendship was priceless. I seriously doubt that anyone has had a friendship like ours. We were very aware of our unique friendship & expressed our love & appreciation to each other often, especially in the weeks before her death. As I have comtemplated our friendship since she has been gone, I have come to realize how much I have learned from Lana over the years. I would not be who I am without her in my life. I feel I'm a better person because I knew Lana. We were not friends by mistake, the Lord had a hand in it & I thank Him. I look forward to seeing her again & continuing our eternal friendship.
I love you, Lana.
Diane

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Diane, that tribute to my mother means the world to us. I miss her very much and think of her daily. You were truly her best friend and I think of her when I see you. Thanks! Travis

Diane B said...

Angie, you're an angel, thank you so much for posting that for me. You are all in my thoughts today.
Diane

Jodi said...

What an awesome post Angie and Diane!!!!

Becky A said...

I'm sobbing! thanks for posting that for my mom, angie. and I always think of them when I hear that song. I remember every detail of this day 2 years ago. Lana is SO missed by SO many. your family is in my thoughts today.

Aleesha said...

Thanks Diane. It always helps to remember the good times.

Thanks for posting this Ang.

Shaury said...

I love Lana too, & miss her. She was a such a good mom to me.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Diane, Very few people have what you and my mom have. So many memories come flooding back on days like yesterday and I am glad the Birt's are in alot of them. Im sure your reunion with my mom will be a sight to see, and for once you probably wont have to worry about laughing so hard that you have to run to the restroom. We love you guys.

Steve
(Does anyone think "T" and I are like our mother? Neither of us can ever remember our stupid passwords. Thanks for giving us your memory mom:)

Kim said...

Diane,
What a beautiful tribute to Lana. It reminds me to cherish friendships and important people in our lives! I think anyone would consider themselves "blessed" to be your friend! You've always been a great example to me! Thank Heaven for eternal friendships!

Thanks for the post Ang!

Jen said...

Angie- while I don't know the person you are writing about, I was very touched by your words. It reminded me a lot of losing my mom. Your blog inspired me to start one of my own... You are awesome!
Jen

Jeni said...

Oh all these posts about Lana are so touching. I can't stop bawling. You are all so lucky to have had each other.
Beautiful and so very special Diane.